Today was a wet rainy day, the perfect day to stay inside and bake. Good thing because today was my bread making day anyway so it worked out perfectly. I have been making bread weekly lately and have been able to get my family completely off of store bought bread. Now all we eat is homemade 100% whole wheat bread that I really enjoy making.
I have tried out many different recipes, trying to find "the one" that reminds me of the bread that my mom made for us while growing up. Of course I have asked all my relatives, trying to see if anyone had her recipe but had no luck. I thought that it must just be lost forever. But then I talked to my dad this afternoon and was complaining about wishing that I had her recipe (YES ... I have asked him before if he had her recipe) and he non-chalantly said "Well I have her recipe, I've made it before." Silly dad ... all these months I have been crying about the long lost recipe only to have him say, yeah it's right here in my recipe thing under the bread section. So I will have to make that one next week.
I figured while I had a mess of flour in my kitchen and a rainy inside day anyway I would also make homemade tortillas which are so super easy! And I went ahead and made my first attempt at homemade bagels. They aren't much to look at because I have a really hard time dividing the dough into 9 equal pieces and getting the shape really smooth but I was happy with the outcome considering it was my first attempt. I will have to keep practicing on those because Eric loves bagels and fresh ones are so much better then store bought.
I figured while I had a mess of flour in my kitchen and a rainy inside day anyway I would also make homemade tortillas which are so super easy! And I went ahead and made my first attempt at homemade bagels. They aren't much to look at because I have a really hard time dividing the dough into 9 equal pieces and getting the shape really smooth but I was happy with the outcome considering it was my first attempt. I will have to keep practicing on those because Eric loves bagels and fresh ones are so much better then store bought.
Wow, you have been busy! I love making homemade 100 % whole wheat bread also. But I can't say may family is completely off the store bought bread yet . . . still working on that! If you get a chance, send me your moms recipe. I would love to try a new "tried and true" one.
ReplyDeleteWay to Go! Miss ya!
ReplyDeleteHave you looked into Pantry Secrets bread? The recipe makes 4 loaves and is done and baked in less than 1 hour. I just went to a wheat bread class this last week. I have been so crazy busy that I haven't tried it yet. Hopefully your Mom's recipe works well - and you can feel her a little bit closer.
You can check out the pantry secrets website at pantrysecrets.net